Friday, August 07, 2009

Dying VCR Tapes and the Psychological Weight of Our Possessions

My seven-year-old just pulled out some old home made SpongeBob videos and they are dying. I'm really bummed, not just because we'll be loosing about 30 episodes of that great cartoon but it's making me wonder about how I am storing my old VHS tapes. I thought I had chosen a safe spot for them in the basement, but I wonder if our dehumidifier is drying them out. I have tons of old videos like the Live Aid concert and other music videos from Mtv's heyday, plus lots of movies and other things from the last 25 years that I want to hold on to, without spending half my life converting them all into a digital format.

I am more worried about my audio cassettes, all of the mixes I have made, punk and rap radio shows I taped in High School, plus the 4 track recordings of my own music, it is like I need a giant frickin' walk in freezer to preserve all of my archives. Everyday it seems as if life adds another small worry to my consciousness, thanks life, it all just reaffirms that we are better off not being tied to any of our possessions.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Regarding your audio tapes... Don't lose them! Convert them asap as they will start going downhill fast after so many years. I've found that archiving audio is very simple and rewarding afterward, as its so nice to be able to find old recordings I've made by filename instead of routing throug zillions of old unlabeled cassettes. Only thing is, for your 4-track recordings you'll need the 4-track recorder, but I'll bet you could get one of those really cheap now...

manwithspear said...

I still have a cassette four track with a pretty decent eq set up, lots of knobs, which is missing with the recording software of today, anyway I can rescue most any crappy old recording on my four track, I master it down onto my old stand alone cd burner and bingo, if not hi-fi it sounds better than most mp3s under 300 Kbps, and I also find it really rewarding