Wednesday, December 01, 2010

There's No Crying in Therapy!

I am currently in my third stint of going to therapy, since I was about 25 I have done about four years of therapy, which is a pretty lame percentage of time for someone who has a psych degree and is working to become a therapist, but anyway I cried for only the second time during a session in all those years of sessions, the strange thing is that it was after remembering that I had to quit my high school Freshman basketball team because my parents couldn't pick me up after practice and they did not bother and try to set up any alternate means for me to get home. My therapist thought that since it made me cry and I usually don't cry that it was a breakthrough, but I wonder if realizing that your parents did even a poorer job than you already thought they did really a breakthrough? Maybe I guess?

Which leads one to wonder, "How much fodder for the therapist's couch am I giving my boys on a daily basis?"

1 comment:

just Rusty said...

I had a similar situation with little league baseball. I was playing in a league in the next town because my cousins played in that league. I always had to take the bus by myself to various sketchy Jersey City locations for practice and games. I was getting better and better for the two years I played but started to get bummed that my mom didn't give me lifts or come to any games. So I ended up just fading on it at some point. The kicker is that at some point later on in life my mom and I were arguing over something I can't remember and she called me a quitter. I have never forgotten that comment to this day. I may have even used it as inspiration because I ended up playing tons of sports recreationally and was on two country championship varsity soccer squads with an all county player award my senior year. I think my mom came to one game my entire hight school soccer career. Still think I'm a quitter mom!!! Come to think of it, this is probably one of the reasons I never invited my mom to a Transilvia gig. Haha, what a twisted fucking world, I love it!