Friday, April 06, 2007

random thoughts from the past year: Punk lyrics & BHT

A couple of times a year I check my palm pilot for ideas that I had wanted to expound on in this blog but never got around to, so in order in particular:

* 10/27/2006. Helping my 4 year-old make 77 punk mix, his first mix CD, using the Damned, the Sex Pistols, the Clash's first albums, I was looking up lyrics online to cut out any songs with curse words. I still play plenty of music that has foul language around him, but I don't think his first CD mix should be chock full of "fucks and shits," besides the only time I've heard either one of my boys curse was shortly after I did, (what did you say, duck? right you said duck).
The pressing question is what about Antichrist and whore? I don't feel like explaining these, though I doubt they would pick these words out of a fast punk song anyway.
TODAY'S COMMENT: Can't remember if we used the song with whore? My two year old has taken to saying stupid, which no one in my house says, so I guess he got that from TV, the say stupid in Charlie Brown / Peanuts a lot. It's fun when we're out and he says,"I'm not stupid!" Another fun one is my wife made the mistake of giving him coffee once, and we are at an open house for picking grammar schools for his older brother, he starts to act up my wife tries to calm him down and while the Principal is giving her speech, he yells, "I want coffee!" *

----
General Mills started making most of their cereals with 100% whole grains, so I mistakenly thought cool I don't always have to spend five bucks at the healthfood store for cereal, so I let my son pick some Dora the Explorer cereal. We get it home and I notice BHT is listed in the ingredients, at first i think its in the packaging, but a closer look reveals that it's in the cereal. I didn't know that it was legal to put BHT in food, I thought they stopped that when I was a kid.
The next time I'm at the supermarket I start to check out some of General Mills "healthier" lines of cereal, and most have BHT.
I noticed a number of years ago when I first started to eat healthier, that a company will promote one healthy aspect of a food, like low fat, less sugar, no preservatives, but it will still have a number of other unhealthy ingredients like corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. and no sugar usually means so sort of synthetic sweetener, sorry I'd rather have fat kids then predispose them for cancer.
So basically don't let yourself be tricked no matter how distracting your kids are in the supermarket.

3 comments:

just Rusty said...

"I want coffee"...LOL, that's funny. Reminds me of the South Park episode with the "Harbucks" coffee shop and tweek the kid whose family raised him on coffee. He shakes and blurts out weird sounds randomly cuz he's tweeked on caffeine.

Unknown said...

You know, I'd always thought of punk as perfect kids' music (it's loud, crazy and fast); then I had kids, and realized there was a lot I'm not ready for my boys, 3 and 7, to hear yet. My boys love the Ramones, but I don't want them listening to, say, Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue.
So I ended up writing and recording a punk album for kids, all punk, all clean, all for them. It was a lot of fun; my two boys even sing on it with me. You can check it out at www.jamtoast.ca.

Anonymous said...

The logic of diets is that, fat contains more calories than carbohydrates or protein; therefore limit the fat to promote weight loss. A high-fat diet has been associated with numerous health conditions, from obesity to heart disease and even some types of cancer, however an absolute fatless diet is also detrimental for the body. So the best thing to do is to encourage the use of foods which are naturally low in fat but contain healthy amounts of essential nutrients. http://www.phentermine-effects.com