Monday, May 11, 2009

Dreams imitating art

My first grader was very upset this morning and cried a bit, mostly about not wanting to go to school because as I've mentioned here before he does not understand why "he spends more time at school than at home."

He also said he has had dreams about his hand being cut off and bleeding to death.
So as I was brushing his hair and trying to sooth his nerves I tried to put on my dream interpretation hat and figure out what that dream might mean.

After dropping him off at school, late as usual, I remembered that we have been watching the whole Star Wars saga in the story's chronological order (as opposed to the movies release date order), and both Luke and Anakin Skywalker have their hands cut off at different points so there probably is no deep psychological meaning to the dream, more of a being freaked out factor, which made me rethink what we are letting him watch and listen to for that matter. He is still six, for a few more weeks at least, and I fear I've allowed him to become use to entertainment that is not age appropriate.

No comments: