Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Student Family Housing?

So I'm doing research into getting a Masters of Social Work and have learned that only a few schools in my college rich area offer MSW's. One of the schools is my Alma mater, which has two campuses in my general area, and another one that is one county south of where I live, anyway, I'm looking at the requirements of the one county south one and it says I need to have taken classes in biology and statistics, which I have no recollection of taking, I vaguely remember one Senior Psychology course that involved statistics, but no straight up statistics courses and no biology since high school, so shit am I going to have to go back to college to go to grad school?
(I've had a reoccurring dream all of my life where I'm about to either start college, or graduate from college and somehow they missed that I didn't complete some course work in High School or Middle School, depending on the dream, and I have to go back as an adult and take classes with kids. That would be totally weird if I would now actually have to go back and take undergrad courses, I'm nervous enough as it is about going to grad school pushing 40, under grad courses with 19 year-old's is not how I pictured launching my mid-life career change. My other reoccurring dream for years was that I was going to die in a car crash, so I hope this isn't the start of some kind of trend.)

So I go to my Alma mater's web site, search out the transcripts page, fill out the info, they have me on record, which is cool that they transferred files from the dark ages into their current system, but what comes up but a note about there being a HOLD ON MY TRANSCRIPTS, having something to do with the Department of Student Family Housing? What the fuck, I went to college for an extra year after I moved out of University Housing, why wasn't I made aware of these issues then? Shouldn't they have held up my diploma or something, isn't that what they do when you don't pay parking tickets and shit like that?

Yikes, now I'm starting to vaguely remember getting some kind of notice from the university about some kind of fine or something that I went down to contest and they couldn't find it or something and just let me leave without paying anything ... honestly this is a super-fuzzy memory, a lot has happened since 1992, so I can't be sure of how on point this memory is, either way, now I've got to call them and have them track down what these two ancient holds on my transcripts are.

I can picture it now, "You have two $50 fines to pay, but with 15 years of interest that totals to ... $7,780, payable in person by travelers check or money order only."

Don't they know I'm the one of the least motivate people on earth, and hurdles might as well be great walls of China so far as my inclination to scale over them.

1 comment:

Anyanka said...

Aw, I have so much love for Rutgers because so many insanely nice people I know (you, your wife, Jess) went there. I hope you go there for graduate school. I didn't realize I didn't actually graduate due to some (vaguely fuzzy memory of) paperwork mishap until my current job did a background check. It's hard to explain why my diploma says 2002 when all my coursework was done five years previously. Which I think is the reason I don't think I could go to grad school - I'd never get accepted. Plus, I'm a fucking slacker. Whatevs.

Is it being a Taurus, or what?

Anyway, my older sister had to go to college before going back to get her O.D. (doctor of optometry), so with something like psychology, you might have to do some prereqs. I dunno, though...depends on the program. She said it wad definitely a little odd going back to school--not bad, just odd--as she's pretty social (Aries). She handled it okay, now.

Did you know JJ is in Park Slope??